MDS carried out the complete internal cleaning of the immense 1947 East window by Christopher Webb. Depicting the Resurrection, this window comprises 5 main lights and 55 tracery lights. Overall dimensions: 331 inches high by 207 inches wide.
This in situ conservation cleaning project adopted the principle of minimum intervention. The internal flaky dirt layer had accumulated over the last few decades and in some areas of the main lights, it had blackened over 70% of the imagery. However, as this window is relatively young, the flaky dirt layer had not affected the painted detail, which was well fired and very stable. Now cleaned, the Chancel is illuminated by a brighter eastern light.
Another window in the east elevation (also by Christopher Webb) was vandalized and 3 fragments of painted stained glass had suffered multiple cracks. One of the fragments was a face, which has now been replaced with a newly painted piece, based on the original detail.
The Great West Window (The Judgment Window), allegedly designed by Hardman and glass by Heaton Butler & Bayne in 1890. As a result of external vandalism, 1 piece of painted inscription glass was cracked and broken. This fragment was replaced in situ with a newly painted fragment.
High- level east end of the south transept. Historic plain glazing diamond quarries, circa early 19th century.
This window was structurally weak and required total re-leading as well as full surface cleaning, silicone and copper foil edge-bonding of numerous heat stress cracks, caused by the 1961 north transept fire.
The south transept Window (The Transfiguration Window), designer unknown, installed in 1874. Comprising 5 main lights and 26 individual tracery lights.
The window had to have all its mullions removed and repaired. There were multiple heat stress cracks, caused by the 1961 north transept fire. In order to access the multitude of cracks and to resolve the issue of general panel weakness (due to cracked solder joints), full conservation repairs were carried out on this window, involving glass surface cleaning with de-ionised water, multiple silicone and copper foil edge-bonding to many glass fragments, as well as 90% re-leading.
The Holy Cross Chapel east window. Designed by Comper in 1941.
As a result of external vandalism, the lower area of the right hand light had suffered extensive damage, resulting in matrix distortion and severe cracking and breaking of painted glass fragments. Complete conservation was carried out of the lower 2 sections, involving multiple edge-bonding pieces with silicone, newly painted replacements and total re-leading. As much original glass as possible was reused in the rebuild of the panel.
The St Catherine's Chapel north window (The Reynolds Window), designed by Christopher Webb in 1957.
As a result of external vandalism, the lower area of the left hand light had suffered minor damage to the lead matrix and glass. Minimum intervention conservation was adopted for this repair. As much original glass as possible was reused in the rebuild of the panel. Some newly painted replacements were installed within the original lead matrix.
All newly painted replacements were initialed and dated.
Location: Chesterfield Parish Church, Chesterfield.